Workers in this unit group perform a variety of professional engineering functions.
More about this Career
New workers start around £23246. Normal pay is £40820 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £61279.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Provides technical consultancy services.
- Examines and advises on patent applications.
- Prepare sketches, drawings and specifications showing materials to be used, construction and finishing methods and other details.
- Devises and implements control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of system and materials.
- Designs new systems and equipment with regard to cost, market requirements and feasibility of manufacture.
- Establishes principles and techniques to improve the quality, durability and performance of materials such as textiles, glass, rubber, plastics, ceramics, metals and alloys.
- Researches into problem areas to advance basic knowledge, evaluate new theories and techniques and to solve specific problems.