Product, Clothing and Related Designers
Product, clothing and related designers plan, direct and undertake the creation of designs for new industrial and commercial products, clothing and related fashion accessories, costumes and wigs, and for building interiors and stage sets.
More about this Career
New workers start around £14632. Normal pay is £21819 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £44613.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Observes and manages intellectual property issues.
- Specifies materials, production method and finish for aesthetic or functional effect, and oversees production of sample and/or finished product.
- Submits design to management, sales department or client for approval, communicates design rationale and makes any necessary alterations.
- Prepares sketches, designs, mock-ups and storyboards for consideration by theatre/film director or client.
- Prepares sketches, designs, patterns or prototypes for textiles, clothing, footwear, jewellery, fashion accessories, set props, wigs, ceramics, plastics, motor vehicles, domestic appliances and engineering products.
- Undertakes research to determine market trends, production requirements, availability of resources and formulates design concepts.
- Liaises with client to determine the purpose, cost, technical specification and potential uses/users of product.
Skills Employers are looking for