Programmers and Software Development Professionals
Programmers and software development professionals design, develop, test, implement and maintain software systems in order to meet the specifications and business objectives of the information system; they also design and develop specialist software e.g. for computer games.
More about this Career
New workers start around £22515. Normal pay is £37198 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £65809.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Writes operational documentation and provides subsequent support and training for users.
- Plans and maintains database structures.
- Implements and evaluates the software.
- Writes code for specialist programming for computer games, (for example, artificial intelligence, 3D engine development).
- Tests and corrects software programs.
- Develops user interfaces.
- Writes and codes individual programs according to specifications.
- Undertakes feasibility study to design software solutions.
- Examines existing software and determines requirements for new/modified systems in the light of business needs.
Skills Employers are looking for