Forestry workers perform a variety of tasks related to the planting, cultivation and protection of trees.
More about this Career
New workers start around £7936. Normal pay is £21817 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £32674.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Maintains watch for fires and operates fire fighting equipment.
- Builds and maintains forest roads.
- Assists in the control of harmful diseases, pests or forms of wildlife.
- Cuts coppice, removes tops of standing trees and lops branches as necessary.
- Fells trees using axe or power saw and saws wood into required lengths.
- Collects seeds, plants and prunes trees and selects and marks trees for felling.
- Drains and ploughs land and erects and maintains fences as necessary.
- Prepares ground for planting by clearing vegetation and other debris.
Skills Employers are looking for