Air Transport Operatives
Air transport operatives refuel, load and unload aircraft, direct the movement of aircraft at airports, and positions gangways or staircases to allow passengers to board and disembark aircraft.
More about this Career
New workers start around £9363. Normal pay is £22039 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £36070.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Operates retractable gangway or positions mobile staircases to enable passengers and crew to board and disembark aircraft.
- Loads aircraft with luggage, in-flight meals, refreshments and other items.
- Loads and unloads conveyor belts to transport luggage between terminal buildings and aircraft, monitors conveyor belts and clears any blockages.
- Directs the ground movement of aircraft at airports.
- Refuels aircraft from mobile tankers.
Skills Employers are looking for