Large Goods Vehicle Drivers
Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) drivers (formerly HGV drivers), collect, transport and deliver goods in rigid vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, articulated lorries and lorries pulling trailers.
More about this Career
New workers start around £21362. Normal pay is £31822 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £41862.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Undertakes minor repairs and notifies supervisor of any mechanical faults.
- Maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked.
- Drives vehicle to destination in accordance with schedule.
- Assists with loading/unloading and ensures that load is evenly distributed and safely secured.
- Agrees delivery schedule and route with transport management.
- Drives vehicle from depot to loading/unloading point.
- Checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle.
Skills Employers are looking for