Rail Construction and Maintenance Operatives
Rail construction and maintenance operatives lay, re-lay, repair and examine railway track and maintain surrounding areas.
More about this Career
New workers start around £21063. Normal pay is £36152 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £55581.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Fastens together sections of rail by bolting fishplates to rails.
- Positions lengths of rail, sets of points and crossovers and secures rail with bolts, wooden wedges or clips.
- Spreads ballast and lays sleepers or metal plates at specified intervals.
- Lubricates points, examines fences, drains, culverts and embankments and carries out any necessary maintenance.
- Checks tightness of bolts and wedges, replaces damaged rail chairs and repacks ballast under sleepers if necessary.
- Patrols length of track and visually inspects rails, bolts, fishplates and chairs for distortion or fracture.
Skills Employers are looking for