Road Construction Operatives
Road construction operatives construct, repair and maintain roads and lay paving slabs and kerbstones to form pavements and street gutters.
More about this Career
New workers start around £21597. Normal pay is £30151 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £46354.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Removes damaged paving slabs and kerb stones, lays bedding of sand, concrete or mortar on prepared foundation, lays new slabs or stones and fills joints with mortar.
- Spreads aggregate over road surfaces using shovel and lays markings on road surface.
- Spreads bitumen, tar or asphalt and compacts surface using roller.
- Heats bitumen in bucket, applies it to newly laid asphalt and beats or draws tamper head on asphalt to close joints.
- Cuts away broken road surface with pick or pneumatic drill.
- Inspects road surfaces for hazards or signs of deterioration, clears mud, weeds and debris from road and spreads grit or salt as required.
Skills Employers are looking for