Textile Process Operatives
Job holders in this unit group operate machines to prepare natural and synthetic fibres for processing, spin and twist fibre into yarn, thread, twine, rope and other similar material, and estimate the quantities of colouring matter required for printing and dyeing fabrics.
More about this Career
New workers start around £10206. Normal pay is £19869 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £31621.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Cleans and oils machine, detects and reports mechanical faults to technicians.
- Stretches, shrinks, brushes, dampens and presses fabric and shears or burns off protruding fabric fibres as required.
- Examines colour cards or specifications, estimates quantity of colouring material needed to print or dye fibre and calculates and mixes ingredients accordingly.
- Checks quality of completed material, marks any flaws and removes badly damaged sections.
- Detects blockages, tangled thread, defective or broken material, and joins broken ends by hand or mechanical knotting.
- Replenishes the supply of input fibres, removes and replaces full output packages, cards and spools.
- Sets controls, starts machinery and monitors the passage of material processed.
Skills Employers are looking for