Glass and Ceramics Process Operatives
Glass and ceramics process operatives position articles ready for firing in kilns and operate and attend furnaces and kilns to make and treat glass and ceramic items.
More about this Career
New workers start around £13631. Normal pay is £21177 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £33702.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Cuts off heat supply after firing/heating/drying and cleans furnace and kiln areas.
- Monitors temperature of drying and annealing kilns and reports any significant deviations from schedule sheet.
- Operates controls to rotate rotary furnaces and create a vacuum in vacuum furnaces, ensures that static furnaces are correctly positioned and switches on current.
- Sets timing and temperature controls, monitors pressure gauges, adjusts controls as necessary and regulates level of glass in furnace as required.
- Directs loading of furnace with prescribed quantities and types of ingredients.
Skills Employers are looking for