Job holders in this unit group operate telecommunications equipment to transmit and receive signals and messages.
More about this Career
New workers start around £13326. Normal pay is £27589 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £44106.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Receives and handles incoming calls for emergency services, transmitting to the appropriate services.
- Performs routine tests and maintenance on equipment and reports faults.
- Keeps record of messages sent and received.
- Uses a teleprinter or telex keyboard to transmit messages to other teleprinters or telexes.
- Tunes transmitter to required channel or wavelength and relays or receives message to/ from person or vehicle.
- Receives messages, weather reports and other material to transmit.
Skills Employers are looking for