Butchers direct and undertake the slaughter of animals and prepare carcasses for storage, processing and sale.
More about this Career
New workers start around £13721. Normal pay is £23752 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £36195.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Prepares meat for curing or other processing; cleans tools and work surfaces.
- Cuts carcass parts into chops, joints, steaks, etc. for sale.
- Removes bones, gristle, surplus fat, rind and other waste material.
- Cuts or saws carcasses into manageable portions.
- Slaughters animal and removes skin, hide, hairs, internal organs, etc..
Skills Employers are looking for