Bricklayers and Masons
Bricklayers and masons erect and repair structures of stone, brick and similar materials and cut, shape and polish granite, marble, slate and other stone for building, ornamental and other purposes.
More about this Career
New workers start around £13936. Normal pay is £20740 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £33546.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
- Uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone.
- Spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed.
- Marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels.
- Examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements.
Skills Employers are looking for