Vehicle Body Builders and Repairers
Job holders in this unit group construct and repair the bodies of road vehicles, and fit interior and exterior fittings to vehicle bodies.
More about this Career
New workers start around £14355. Normal pay is £23741 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £33751.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Positions, secures and repairs external fittings including windows, doors, door handles, catches and roof attachments.
- Installs and repairs interior fittings including seats, seatbelts and fascia in cars, sinks and special features in caravans and mobile shops.
- Hammers out dents in bodywork, fills in small depressions or corroded areas in solder, plastic or other filler compound and replaces body panels using hand and power tools.
- Repairs damage to chassis and engine mountings using hydraulic rams, jacks and jigs.
- Selects, cuts, shapes and assembles materials to form parts of vehicle underframe, framework and body.
- Diagnoses job requirements or ascertains work specifications from drawings or instructions.
Skills Employers are looking for