Sheet Metal Workers
Sheet metal workers mark out, cut, shape and join sheet metal using hand or machine tools to make and repair sheet metal products and components (excluding vehicle bodywork).
More about this Career
New workers start around £13820. Normal pay is £22127 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £33387.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Checks final product to ensure conformity with specifications.
- Repairs damaged metal parts such as copper sheets and tubes by beating, riveting, soldering, welding and fitting replacement parts.
- Finishes product by grinding, filing, cleaning and polishing.
- Assembles prepared parts and joins them by bolting, welding or soldering.
- Uses hand or machine tools to bend, roll, fold, press or beat cut sheet metal.
- Uses template, measuring instruments and tools to mark out layout lines and reference points.
- Examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements.
Skills Employers are looking for