Refuse and Salvage Occupations
Refuse and salvage collectors supervise and undertake the collection and processing of refuse from household, commercial and industrial premises.
More about this Career
New workers start around £15589. Normal pay is £19895 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £44874.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Attends the operation of refuse tips, supervises the use of public refuse disposal facilities, and compacts and covers up refuse at landfill sites.
- Collects scrap metal, salvage, paper and other recyclable material from domestic and industrial premises, and sorts material in preparation for recycling.
- Returns dustbins or other containers to premises.
- Empties refuse into vehicle manually or using an electronic tipping device.
- Carries waste material in dustbins or other containers from premises to refuse vehicle.
- Rides in or on refuse vehicle and alights to pick up domestic refuse.
Skills Employers are looking for