Launderers, Dry Cleaners and Pressers
Launderers, dry cleaners and pressers supervise and undertake the washing, dry cleaning, ironing and pressing of clothing, household and other linen, carpets, curtains and other articles.
More about this Career
New workers start around £3882. Normal pay is £12919 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £27762.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Performs a variety of laundering, dry cleaning and pressing tasks, including beating carpets and shaping starched collars, cuffs and hats.
- Allocates washing machines to customers, ensures correct use of equipment and gives change.
- Sets and operates drying machines and smoothes and shapes washed garments using hand iron or machine press.
- Loads articles into washing and dry cleaning machines or electrically operated drum cleaning machine, operates controls to admit cleaning fluids and starts machine.
- Removes difficult stains using chemicals or steam gun.
- Sorts articles by fabric, colour and type and determines appropriate cleaning process.
- Receives garment or item from customer for cleaning, checks pockets, buttons, zips, etc. and issues receipt.
Skills Employers are looking for