Jobholders in this unit group sew and finish garments by hand or machine, rectify faults in manufactured textile goods and repair worn and damaged garments.
More about this Career
New workers start around £11759. Normal pay is £23341 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £30376.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Cleans and oils machine and reports or remedies any mechanical faults.
- Embroiders decorative designs on textiles with machine stitching.
- Performs hand sewing tasks in the making, trimming and finishing of fur, sheepskin, leather, upholstery, mats, carpets, umbrellas and other textile products.
- Examines fabrics of all types to identify imperfections and determine best method of repair.
- Operates standard and specialised machines to sew, finish and repair garments and other textile, fabric, fur and skin products.
Skills Employers are looking for