Energy Plant Operatives
Job holders in this unit group operate boilers to produce hot water or steam and attend and operate compressors, turbines, electrical substations, switchboards and auxiliary plant and machinery to fuel nuclear reactors, drive blowers and pumps, electricity generators and other equipment.
More about this Career
New workers start around £16439. Normal pay is £34663 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £56357.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Carries out minor maintenance tasks and prescribed tests and reports any faults.
- Records instrument readings periodically and shuts down turbine/generator or boiler as demand decreases.
- Adjusts controls to maintain correct running speed of turbine or generator and monitors temperature and pressure controls on boilers.
- Operates remote control panel to load fuel and remove discharged fuel elements from nuclear reactors.
- Opens valves and operates controls to regulate the flow of fuel to boiler or generating equipment.
- Determines job requirements from switchboard attendant or operating instructions.
Skills Employers are looking for