Health and Safety Officers
Health and safety officers counsel employees to ensure and promote health and safety in the workplace and co-ordinate accident prevention and health and safety measures within an establishment or organisation.
More about this Career
New workers start around £15039. Normal pay is £29087 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £41416.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full and part-time jobs.
- Gives talks and distributes information on accident prevention, and keeps up to date with the relevant legislation.
- Counsels individuals on any personal or domestic problems affecting their work.
- Maintains contact with those off work due to illness.
- Compiles statistics on accidents and injuries, analyses their causes and makes recommendations to management accordingly.
- Instructs workers in the proper use of protective clothing and safety devices and conducts routine tests on that equipment.
- Helps to develop effective health and safety policies and procedures and carries out risk assessments.
- Inspects workplace areas to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation.
Skills Employers are looking for