Ship and Hovercraft Officers
Ship and hovercraft officers command and navigate ships and other craft, co-ordinate the activities of officers and deck and engine room ratings, operate and maintain communications equipment on board ship and undertake minor repairs to engines, boilers and other mechanical and electrical equipment.
More about this Career
New workers start around £45090. Normal pay is £78236 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £152901.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Maintains log of vessel.
- Prepares watch keeping rota and maintains a look-out for other vessels or obstacles.
- Maintains radio contact with other vessels and coast stations.
- Monitors the operation of engines, generators and other mechanical and electrical equipment and undertakes any necessary minor repairs.
- Locates the position of vessel using electronic and other navigational aids such as charts and compasses and advises on navigation where appropriate.
- Directs or undertakes the operation of controls to inflate air cushions, run engines and propel and steer ships, hovercraft and other vessels.
- Allocates duties to ship.
Skills Employers are looking for