Health Services and Public Health Managers and Directors
Managers and directors in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the resources and activities of health care providers and purchasers at both district and unit levels.
More about this Career
New workers start around £19566. Normal pay is £49800 per year. Highly experienced workers can earn up to £115769.
Job counts include both employed and self-employed persons, and do not distinguish between full- and part-time jobs.
- Monitors and reports upon the state of public health and wellbeing.
- Coordinates the promotion of public health and wellbeing in the actions and policies of public agencies and their social partners.
- Monitors and reports upon the effectiveness of services with a view to improving the efficiency of health care provision.
- Manages staff, including recruitment, appraisal and development.
- Negotiates and manages contracts with providers and purchasers of health care services.
- Uses statistical information to monitor performance and assist with planning.
- Oversees the day-to-day management of the unit or service and provides leadership to staff.
- Liaises with health care professionals to determine short and long-term needs and how to meet these objectives within budgetary constraints.
- Implements policies of the board, ensures statutory procedures are followed, with particular emphasis on patient safety and the management of risk.
Skills Employers are looking for