Sports Staff recognised for their outstanding efforts and achievements
Congratulations to our Sports team who have been awarded the University of South Wales Team Achievement Award. The award seeks to recognise and reward those teams and departments whose efforts and achievements have made an outstanding contribution to the college and overall University of South Wales Group.
The award is testimony to the sports team’s commitment and achievements over the last few years, including being named as runner up in the UK Sports Leadership Academy of the Year 2015 out of all further education colleges. The team also received the Colleges Wales Outstanding Sports Development Award 2015, the Merthyr Academy of Success Sports Development Organisation of the Year 2015, the Merthyr Academy of Success Sports Provision of the Year and Runner up British College’s Football College of the Year. Alongside these external accolades, the sports team have also been instrumental in:
- Recruiting record numbers of students across our level 3 sports programmes
- Working in partnership with local sporting organisations and clubs to provide a wide range of sports development, volunteering, work experience and enrichment opportunities for students within the college, local primary and secondary schools, local youth and sports clubs and the general community.
- Developing excellent partnerships with local, national and international sporting organisations, all of whom regard the college as an exemplar in the provision of sporting skills and qualifications, enrichment and volunteering opportunities and general level of sporting excellence.
- Hosting a number of sporting events to raise money for national charities and good causes.
- Becoming a driving force in key sporting initiatives, including the Welsh Government’s Physical Literacy Programme, Millennium Volunteers, Disability Sport and much more.
- Supporting five students to achieve 200 Millennium Volunteer hours, seven to achieve 100 hours and thirteen to achieve 50 hours.
- Promoted and embraced the Young Ambassador scheme resulting in the creation of 2 Platinum, 6 Gold and 6 Silver Young Ambassadors who have a range of responsibilities to coordinate volunteers within the college and community with the ultimate aim of improving sport and fitness opportunities.
- Achieving a 100% success rate in students applying to work for Challenger Sport in the USA. In 2015 three students successfully gained a place on a team of over 1,000 coaches to deliver the Challenger Sports curriculum, including eight weeks of coaching at American soccer camps.
- Supporting the Ladies Football team forward to become British Colleges Champions 2016
- Successfully placing over 100 students into sports volunteering and coaching positions with schools and community clubs across Merthyr Tydfil.
- Initiating new partnership links with Swansea City FC, Merthyr Tydfil FC and the Welsh Rugby Union.
These are tremendous achievements and demonstrate the outstanding sports development work and opportunities the team strives to provide both within the college and across the local community.